Assistant Wastewater Superintendent - Northumberland, PA
NORTHUMBERLAND BOROUGH SEWER DEPARTMENT
JOB TITLE - Assistant Wastewater Superintendent
REPORTS TO - Wastewater Superintendent
SUPERVISES - Plant Operations Staff
The position of Assistant Superintendent is a working position, overtime and on-call required, and is expected to assist in the management of the operation of the sewage plant and collection system. Second-in-Charge to the Plant Superintendent, the Assistant Superintendent is responsible for the maintenance of pumps and plant equipment, and will coordinate the various functions with other departments and the Superintendent.
JOB DUTIES OR ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
• Assists with overall supervision of personnel involved in the operations and maintenance of the Wastewater Plant and Collections Systems, including training, assigning and reviewing work, conducting performance evaluations, and taking or effectively recommending disciplinary and other personnel actions.
• Serve as “back up” to the Superintendent in all ways as necessary.
• Assists with the oversight of compliance with regulatory agencies, especially the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requirements.
• Assist the Superintendent and Borough Council in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, standard operating procedures, and other priorities.
• Assist the Superintendent, Borough Manager and Borough Council in the establishment of the Department’s annual budget.
• Assist in the preparation of, and prepare, necessary reports and compilations for the Borough Manager and Borough Council for budgetary and personnel purposes.
• Maintain the confidentiality of Borough confidential information, such as financial information, the budgetary process, and the formulation and effectuation of labor policy.
• Assists with inspections, review operations, prepare and send in NPDES and EPA.
• Assists with inspection of the plant processes and provide technical advice and assistance on process control problems.
• Assists with developing process control strategies; analyze operational data and lab data, and initiate control changes to maximize treatment effectiveness.
• Assists in the supervision of and participates in chemical and bacteriological examinations of wastewater in various stages of treatment including chemical dosing and application.
• Assists in developing and refining laboratory and safety methods and procedures.
• Follow and enforce all safety rules and procedures established for work areas, and assist the Superintendent in the revision and establishment of such rules and procedures.
• Develop and maintain cooperative and respectful relationship with staff, co-workers and Borough Council.
• Sitting, standing, walking, stooping, bending, twisting, kneeling, crawling and crouching for prolonged periods of time. Climbing with both arms and legs (Have the ability to descend and climb a maximum of 30 rungs to access rooftop HVAC units), operating motorized equipment and vehicles.
• Normal dexterity and hand-eye coordination.
• The ability to safely enter Confined Spaces and to participate in a Confined Space Rescue if required.
• Perform all aspects of sampling, monitoring and testing. Sample volumes up to 5 gallons at one time.
• Have the ability to lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds (without assistance); including placing the objects in the back of a full-size pickup truck. Also carrying 50 pounds for a distance of up to 300'.
• Have the ability to move 55-gallon drums with a drum cart.
• Have the ability to carry and dose digesters with 50lb bags of lime.
• Have the ability to open and close manhole lids. Setup cones and direct traffic as needed.
• Have the ability to operate jetter trailer and remove debris from bottom of manholes.
• Have the ability to setup and install a composite sampler in a collection system manhole.
• Have the ability to move 1 1/2" rubber hoses (50ft) sections around plant decking as needed. Connect hoses to hydrants and use to wash down plant equipment as needed.
• Have the ability to move, setup and operate a 3" trash pump and all needed suction and discharge hoses.
• Have the ability to move, setup and operate a 2" trash pump and all needed suction and discharge hoses.
• Have the ability to operate and maintain all plant equipment: including the pulling and cleaning of DO/ORP probes, pumps and mixers, opening and cleaning VLR disk aerator hoods, checking VLR disks, manual hoist to raise pumps/mixers for maintenance, as well as, but not limited to, operate manual gates and valves for plant process and pipe arrangements.
• Have the ability to carry screening debris bags and place in the back of a full-size pickup truck.
• Regularly operate light trucks, heavy equipment, hand/power/pneumatic tools, specialized pumping and treatment equipment, laboratory equipment, two-way radios, computer and standard office machines as needed.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the formal education, experience and training preferred.
High School Diploma or equivalent. Training at a technical or vocational school with a focus on wastewater technology or related field preferred.
Two (2) years of wastewater treatment plant operation, wastewater collection system, or related experience preferred.
Training, Certificates, and Licenses
Possess a valid Pennsylvania Driver's License
Possess a valid PA DEP Operators License or obtain one within two years of hire.
The overall complexity of this position is moderately high. While performing the normal duties of this job, processes, procedures, or software can vary from one assignment to the next.
The Assistant Superintendent reports directly to the Superintendent and is expected to effectively and appropriately supervise the Department employees and provide them with general direction while performing the normal duties of this position.
While performing the normal duties of this job, this positions work affects the overall efficiency and image of the Borough.
REQUIRED PHYSICAL ABILITIES AND WORK CONDITIONS
The physical demands and work conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, this position will experience exposure to inside environmental conditions, exposure to outside environmental conditions, exposure to noise, dust, fumes, gases, chemicals, or oils requiring special mitigating precautions or protective hears, working in barrow spaces, working around moving mechanical parts, working in close quarters, exposure to extreme heat, exposure to extreme cold, and exposure to infectious diseases.
*The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals employed in this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties and qualifications required of personnel in this position. The employer may and does reserve its right to change the job description and establish, modify or eliminate job duties and responsibilities and jobs at its discretion with or without notice.
APPLICATIONS: Available in person at the Northumberland Borough Sewer Department, 100 Water Street, Northumberland, PA 17857. Applications are also available electronically by emailing : [email protected] Please send the application, resume and cover letter to above address or email.
*An EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The Borough of Northumberland does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state, or local law.