Position: Chemist I FLSA: Non-exempt
Division: Water Quality (Laboratory) Posted: February 11, 2021
Rate: $22.39 – 24.27 per hour Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m., February 24, 2021
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Chemist I. They will provide chemical and mathematical principles and practices to tests, evaluate, and analyze data along with a variety of substances and materials in the field and in the laboratory.
This position is included in the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) union and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Collects chemical and microbiological samples throughout the treatment and distribution systems (using EPA specified sampling protocols).
• Performs limited chemical and instrumental analyses of a variety of substances and materials both in the field and in the lab.
• Applies chemical and mathematical principles and practices in the preparation and standardization of tests and in making necessary calculations.
• Maintains routine and complex records and compiles reports on work performed in the laboratory both manually and by automated methods (laboratory LIMS system.)
• Assists in performing special research projects (e.g., Giardia and Legionella research, etc.) as assigned.
• Visits field sites to test materials and standardize remote metals.
• May assist bacteriologists in performing microbiological analyses.
• May perform activities and work of related lower-level personnel.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Considerable knowledge of chemistry, mathematics, city geography and other related subjects.
• Knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions of the work; and of laboratory principles, practices, procedures, and equipment.
• Limited knowledge of microbiology and microbiological methods.
• Ability to handle potentially dangerous chemicals, pathogenic organisms and to lift heavy objects (up to 50 pounds)
• Follow moderate to complex oral and written instructions and to make independent judgments.
• Maintain records and prepare accurate reports either manually or by automated methods.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel).
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, management, associates, and the general public.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
A performance or written exam as well as a medical exam may be required prior to appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting. They must also regularly lift or move up to 50 pounds.
• Perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
• Ability to work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive risks.
• Travel between 50 and 75 percent.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.