Director of Human Resources
Position: Director of Human Resources FLSA: Exempt
Division: Administration Posted: November 5, 2020
Rate: Competitive salary based on experience Application Deadline: until filled
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (PWSA) is seeking a candidate for the position of Director of Human Resources. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position will be responsible for the efficient operation of PWSA’s human resources department. The successful candidate will supervise and provide consultation to management on strategic staffing plans, compensation, benefits, payroll, training and development, compliance, budget, developing, implementing and coordinating HR policies, programs and processes, employee and labor relations. The PWSA has approximately 340 full-time employees who are responsible for providing clean water to over 300,000 people in Pittsburgh and the surrounding region. We are the largest combined water, sewer and stormwater authority in Pennsylvania. We are a growing team who are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. The PWSA is made up of both unionized and at-will employees.
• Contributes as a key member of the Executive Leadership team and represents the Executive Director and the Authority in interactions with employees, customers, and other agencies and organizations.
• Annually reviews and makes recommendations to Executive Management for improvement of policies, procedures, and practices on employment matters.
• Devise a list of procedures and practices for hiring new employees and managing staff.
• Provides support for fair and equitable hiring, retention and advancement of a diverse staff.
• Supports all departments in evaluating goals and efforts to achieve diversity in the workplace.
• Establish an orientation procedure for onboarding new hires and assuring their proper training.
• Communicate with employees about compensation, benefits, and other facets of their employment.
• Provide effective coaching, counseling, and advice throughout the organization, proactively identify problems and solutions.
• Respond to questions or complaints from employees in a timely fashion.
• Consults with legal counsel as appropriate, and/or as directed on personnel matters.
• Knowledge of data analysis and reporting.
• Manage all HR department personnel.
• Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation and ensures Company's compliance.
• Recommends strategic goals, administrative policies and procedures, and related work rules as appropriate to the Executive Director.
• Administers, prepares, and monitors the annual budgets of the Department of Human Resources.
• Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and established policies, including union contract agreements, grievance, and arbitration resolution to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
• Collaborates with industry leaders and consultant advisors.
• Prepares RFP’s and make recommendations regarding contract awards.
• Oversees the administration of the Human Resource Information System.
• Provides direction for wage and salary administration, address uniform standards for work hours, overtime vacation, leave of absences and related policies.
• Oversees the administration of the unemployment compensation program.
• Coordinates with the Department of Finance on the administration of the Section 457 deferred compensation plan and pension plans.
• Coordinates with the Safety Manager on achieving the health and safety goals of the organization.
• Oversees the administration of the workers’ compensation program.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources or related field required, Master’s Degree preferred.
• Ten (10) or more years of experience in human resources or closely related field.
• PHR/SPHR or SHRM-CP/SHRM-SCP certification preferred.
• Experience developing and cultivating diversity and equity policies and programs.
• Strong understanding of the recruitment, interview, benefits administration, payroll, and other HR functions.
• Knowledge of collective bargaining requirements and processes.
• Demonstrate ability to proactively self-direct his/her own work and the work of others.
• Demonstrate ability to be responsive, reliable, flexible, and forthright.
• Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Demonstrate ability to establish effective working relationships with other directors, supervisors, subordinate personnel, outside agencies, and the public.
• Effective leadership abilities related to budgeting, operations, management of staff, technical training, and operations.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Applicant must have permanent residency within one of the following Pennsylvania counties at the time of appointment and remain a resident within one of the noted counties throughout employment with the PWSA:
Verification of permanent residency is required at time of appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting. They also must regularly lift or move up to 20 pounds.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.