Director of Water Quality
Position: Director of Water Quality FLSA: Exempt
Division: Administration Posted: September 21, 2020
Rate: Competitive salary based on experience Application Deadline: until filled
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Director of Water Quality. This position will direct and manage all aspects of water treatment at the main Aspinwall Plant and the Microfiltration Plant and will be responsible for developing water treatment and testing protocols to ensure that water quality meets or exceeds applicable regulations at the Plants and throughout the water distribution system, as well as consumer expectations.
• Receives general direction from the Executive Director, provides and supports protocols to the Senior Manager of Water Production on appropriate water treatment processes.
• Directs and manages all aspects of water treatment at the main Aspinwall Plant, the Microfiltration Plant and throughout the water distribution system.
• Supervises assigned personnel; schedules and evaluates work, provides training and/or technical assistant to staff as requested or required.
• Ensures all relevant water quality and compliance protocols are established and implemented.
• Ensures water quality meets or exceeds applicable regulations at the main Aspinwall Plant, the Microfiltration Plant and throughout the water distribution system.
• Prepares and submits all required regulatory reports, as well as other critical information related to water quality, that will be reviewed by the Executive Director and Chief Legal Counsel.
• Recommends strategic goals, administrative policies and procedures, and related work rules as appropriate to the Executive Director.
• Administers, prepares, and monitors the annual budgets of the Department of Environmental Compliance and Laboratory.
• Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations and established policies, including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
• Contributes as a key member of the Executive Leadership team and represents the Executive Director and the Authority in interactions with employees, the public, water customers, and other agencies and organizations.
• Collaborates with Industry leaders and consultant advisors.
• Other duties as assigned.
• In order to be considered eligible, the candidate must have a Master’s degree in engineering, chemistry, environmental science, or related field of study. Advanced college degree in an appropriate field desired.
• Candidates must have a minimum of 10 years of experience in the study and/or operation of water quality in a treatment or laboratory setting.
• Department of Environmental Protection certifications: Drinking Water Class A and Class E, subclasses 1,6,7,8,10,12,13 preferred, and Wastewater Class E, subclass 4 preferred.
• Extensive knowledge of federal and state water quality laws, regulations, and standards, including but not limited to those related to drinking water, the treatment process of drinking water, water distribution and water quality laboratory sampling and analysis.
• Demonstrate ability to proactively self-direct his/her own work and the work of others.
• Demonstrate ability to be responsive, reliable, flexible, and forthright.
• Demonstrate ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Demonstrate ability to establish effective working relationships with other directors, supervisors, subordinate personnel, outside agencies, and the public.
• Effective leadership abilities related to budgeting, operations, management of staff, technical training, and water quality operations.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Applicant must have permanent residency within one of the following Pennsylvania counties at the time of appointment and remain a resident within one of the noted counties throughout employment with the PWSA:
Verification of permanent residency is required at time of appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting. They also must regularly lift or move up to 20 pounds.
• May perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.