Position: Electrician FLSA: Non-exempt
Division: Water Production Posted: September 25, 2020
Rate: $31.606 per hour Application Deadline: until filled
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Electrician. They will service the electronic components of monitoring the Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition system (SCADA) and provide the initial troubleshooting of equipment and services, electrical transmission lines, circuitry, and motors.
This position in included in the Pittsburgh Joint Collective Bargaining Committee (PJCBC) and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
• Designs, tests, calibrates, operates, maintains and repairs electronic measuring and recording instruments, apparatus and equipment used to monitor and control Authority operations including the water treatment plant, chemical facilities, filtration processes and remote facilities.
• Calibrates, repairs, and maintains analog, digital control systems, flow meters, and pressure sensors.
• Identifies problems in the field and makes decisions utilizing independent judgement and analysis.
• Directs the work of lower-level personnel on a project basis.
• Maintains records, both manually and by computerized methods, and prepares accurate reports work orders and correspondence; may develop databases and spreadsheets using various software programs, such as Windows, Microsoft Office, Excel, and Access.
• Installs electrical and electronic control systems for the Authority; installs repairs maintains and modifies all lighting and power circuits, fixtures, controls, motors, pumps and equipment that is operated from all voltage levels including signal equipment, pumps, lighting, cranes, instrumentation.
• Performs electrical inspections for preventative maintenance; determines type and size wire, conduits, fixtures, boxes with proper voltage and necessary overload protection; modifies existing circuits and fittings to accommodate new and modern fixtures, equipment and controls; lubricates and maintains electrical motors and medium voltage switchgear and related equipment.
• Install, repair and maintain solid state circuits to control remote pumps, transmit status and analog data, including chlorine analyzers, turbid meters, level transmitters, rapid sand filter control devices, flow measuring devices and Operator Interface Devices.
• May work all shifts, evenings, weekends and holidays.
• May drive Authority vehicle.
• Perform activities and functions of related lower-level personnel as assigned or required.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must have or obtain within one year, the City of Pittsburgh Master Electrician License.
• Associate Degree in Electronics Engineering Technology or a related field.
• Must have five years of experience as an Instrumentation, Electronics technician, Commercial electrician, or Industrial electrician. Equivalent combination of training and experience will be considered. City of Pittsburgh Master Electrician License preferred.
• Considerable knowledge of the practices of electronics theory and related knowledge to design, build, repair, calibrate and modify electronic components, circuity and controls.
• Considerable knowledge of software associated not only with computer, but also with peripheral equipment and apparatus that interact with the computer including digital displays, voltage modulators, differential pressure transducers and various other electronic components.
• Ability to diagnose and repair problems with electronic circuit boards and their components. High level of skill in industrial electronics and test equipment and all peripheral components associated with process and control instrumentation systems.
• Ability to read drawings on circuits, control devices, printed circuits and line diagrams.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Verification of permanent residency is required at time of appointment.
A performance or written exam as well as a medical exam may be required prior to appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to operate a pick-up truck, van, and forklift, and related equipment;
• Ability to work in confined, high spaces, like erect scaffolding.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
• Ability to perform heavy work including lift and carry up to 100 pounds.
• Ability to work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive
• Ability to work with respirator around odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases.
• Travel between 50 and 75 percent.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.