Environmental Compliance Lead
Diversity of backgrounds, ideas, thoughts, and experiences is vital to our culture and the way we do business. Creating an environment where differences are embraced and where every person feels engaged and included makes us safer, stronger, and more successful.
With a history dating back to 1886, American Water (NYSE:AWK) is the largest and most geographically diverse U.S. publicly traded water and wastewater utility company. The company employs more than 6,400 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and regulated-like drinking water and wastewater services to an estimated 14 million people in 25 states. American Water provides safe, clean, affordable and reliable water services to our customers to help keep their lives flowing. For more information, visit amwater.com and follow American Water on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn.
PLEASE NOTE: In order for American Water to evaluate decisions about new regulations, reintegration, and safe operating practices, all employees are required to report their vaccination status.
This position is responsible for assisting in implementation of the environmental program for the company including water quality, wastewater, environmental stewardship, and compliance with environmental rules and regulations. Provides input into decisions and recommendations on environmental activities. Contributes to the achievement of compliance goals through review, development and assisting the in oversight of compliance monitoring and reporting. Contributes to the development of processes and training aimed at improving compliance and water quality results.
This position can be located in any of our Pennsylvania offices.
* Drives continuous improvement through the development of new governance and initiatives designed to improve environmental compliance, leverage technology, drive efficiencies, and protect our customers and the environment.
* Performs work related to implementation of American Water’s environmental strategy; this includes compliance with new and existing regulations, implementation of actions established through American Water governance, and addressing emerging issues.
* Reviews state-level activities through focused environmental reviews, environmental program implementation, and similar mechanisms.
* Coordinates development and distribution of annual water quality reports.
* Leads by example and fosters a culture of safety and embeds safety in all aspects of environmental compliance and stewardship.
* Supports in the development of annual compliance schedules and the development of guidance and procedures related to environmental compliance.
* Develops and monitors compliance reports as needed. Maintains mapcall Water Quality data. Gains and shares knowledge of new regulatory and program initiatives with Water Quality staff.
* Strong management skills (e.g. planning, organization, direction of employees).
* Strong verbal and written communication skills.
* Problem solving and decision-making skills.
* Attention to detail and data analysis skills
* Knowledge of science, theory and application of water/wastewater treatment and operations, water quality monitoring and quality assurance programs.
* Excellent knowledge of water quality and environmental regulations affecting the business.
* Knowledge of policies, procedures and business plans.
* Knowledge of activities aimed at improving processes, environmental compliance, and water quality.
* In-depth understanding of environmental regulations and policies in Pennsylvania.
Bachelor’s Degree with advanced experience in Environmental Science, Compliance, Business Performance, Engineering or equivalent.
A minimum of 5 years experience is required in environmental management, project planning, or comparable public programs
Periodic travel in the US up to 15%
Office environment with occasional field work.
Certifications and Licenses
Valid driver license required
If interested, please apply online at www.amwater.com/careers Requisition #102722
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because they are an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.