Position: Inspector, II FLSA: Non-exempt
Division: Operations Posted: October 7, 2020
Rate: $25.93 – 28.86 per hour Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Inspector II. They will direct a team in inspecting, construction projects in process and upon completion in such areas as road, sewers, bridges, waterlines, meters, backflow devices, and other pertinent water related devices, building construction and excavation to ensure contract and plan specifications are met.
This position is included in the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, Local 2719, and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Maintains daily logs on projects, covering such items as materials used, materials tested and results, personnel utilized on the job, weather, construction activity etc.; verifies quantities used: prepares and submits progress reports;
• Assists in preparing monthly estimates of work completed and final report; maintains and completes final project summaries; monitors as-built plans for assigned projects.
• Makes minor engineering decisions as required.
• Handles complaints or conflicts between contractors, general public, etc.; informs contractor when a discrepancy between contract and plan specification is identified.
• Interprets and explains contracts, plans and specifications to contractors where required.
• Reviews and checks daily logs of Inspector’s and other assigned personnel. Coordinates with appropriate personnel in other divisions when projects impact that division (e.g., turn off water).
• Makes and records various measurements of projects as assigned. Plans, develops, directs, coordinates, organizes and controls the materials, equipment and personnel under jurisdiction toward the effective, efficient and economical attainment of program goals, including maximum convenience to the public and safety of employees.
• Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations and established policy including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must clearly show 3+ years of experience with sewer and water construction; some experience as an inspector or supervisor on construction projects preferred.
• Applicant must have a Nicet II Certification at the time of appointment.
• Considerable knowledge of inspection and progress evaluation techniques and use of equipment and procedures for testing materials, construction materials, procedures, methods and equipment.
• Some knowledge of surveying and civil engineering.
• Basic knowledge of mathematics.
• Some knowledge of relevant labor agreements.
• Ability to obtain contractor's compliance with plans and specifications.
• Ability to read blueprints and understand contract specifications.
• Ability to maintain required records and prepare reports.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to plan, monitor and evaluate work.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the general public.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Must be able to perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to operate truck; use various work-related equipment, including digging tools, gate wrenches, etc.;
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like walking, climbing, stooping, balancing, kneeling, pulling and grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear and talk
• Ability to perform heavy work including lift and carry up to 50 pounds.
• Ability to work with respirator around odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases.
• Computer experience required
• Travel in Pittsburgh area up to 100%
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact Human Resources at 412-255-8800
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.