Inspector II | Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority (PWSA)
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Inspector II. They will be expected to prepare reporting on project progress and work to keep projects on schedule, within budget, and maintain the scope of the project. The candidate will have extensive interaction with the construction manager, contractors, and other project or job site team members.
This position is included in the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) union and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Plan, direct, and coordinate, the materials, equipment, and personnel under jurisdiction toward the effective and economical attainment of program goals, including maximum convenience to the public and safety of employees.
• Observe and monitor construction project sites.
• Prepare daily reports of site construction activities and update redline drawings.
• Inspect construction work to determine whether it adheres to requirements established in contract documents, including plans and specifications.
• Maintain daily project logs and photos covering such items as materials, quantities used, materials tested, test results, and personnel utilized on the project, weather, and construction activity.
• Assist in preparation of monthly calculations of work completed and final reports.
• Review quality and workmanship.
• Report on any problems or issues encountered in the performance of work.
• Reconcile redline or as-built plans for assigned projects.
• Manage feedback, including complaints from, or conflicts with, contractors or the general public.
• Inform the contractors when a discrepancy between contract, plan, specification, and installed work is identified. They must also document the discrepancy.
• Interpret and explain contracts, plans, and specifications to contractors when required.
• Coordinate with appropriate personnel in other divisions when projects impact the division, like water shutoffs by Field Operations Team.
• Record various measurements of projects as assigned.
• Manage area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and established policy, including union agreements, to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees.
• Inspect water and sewer tap-ins and verify proper terminations.
• Other duties as assigned.
• The candidate must clearly show three years of experience inspecting water, sewer, roadway, or other related construction projects.
• The candidate must have a school diploma, or diploma from and accredited vocational school, or General Educational Development (GED) certificate or equivalent.
• The candidate must have a NICET Level II Certification at the time of appointment or obtain the NICET certificate within six months of appointment.
• Microsoft Office and related computer skills are required.
• Ability to use GPS and some knowledge of City of Pittsburgh’s geography is preferred.
• Ability to read maps and use digital camera equipment.
• Considerable knowledge of construction materials, procedures, methods, and equipment.
• Considerable knowledge of inspection and progress evaluation techniques and use of equipment and procedures for testing materials
• Some knowledge of surveying and civil engineering.
• Basic knowledge of mathematics.
• Some knowledge of relevant labor agreements.
• Some experience as an inspector or supervisor of construction projects.
• Ability to obtain contractor’s compliance with plans and specifications.
• Ability to read blueprints and understand contract specifications.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the general public.
General Requirements: Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application. Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• The employee will be required to complete a combination of both routine office work in a standard office setting.
• Perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
• Must regularly lift and carry up to 20 pounds.
• Ability to work with respirator around odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases.
• Travel up to 50 percent locally.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Applications: To be considered for this position, please submit your online application on our PWSA Careers Page: https://www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers. You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact the Human Resources Department at:
PWSA Human Resources Department
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
An Equal Opportunity Employer: The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
Position: Inspector II
Application Deadline: Until Filled