Position: Plumber FLSA: Non-exempt
Division: Field Services Posted: September 25, 2020
Rate: $30.756 per hour Application Deadline: until filled
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Plumber. They will repair, replace, and maintain all piping, valves, controls and plumbing fixtures in new or existing Authority structures or assigned locations.
This position in included in the Pittsburgh Joint Collective Bargaining Committee (PJCBC) and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
• Repair, replace and maintain all types of plumbing within or on Authority property, such as water, waste, gas and vent lines, restroom facilities, drinking fountains, fire lines, chemical lines etc. according to the rules and regulations of the Allegheny County Plumbing Code.
• Repairs and replaces private water lines, gas lines, etc. damaged by the Authority.
• Removes and installs water meters at private customer locations in accordance with established Authority policies and procedures.
• Provide temporary water service to City property owners when normal water service is interrupted.
• Respond on a 24 hour a day basis to emergencies involving problems with gas, water, compressed air, chlorine lines, sewer, waste and water supply emergencies; maintains records and prepares accurate reports as requested or required.
• Directs the work of laborers or other assigned personnel on projects.
• Drill and tap new and existing service connections as requested or required.
• Overhaul evaporators, clean chlorine lines, and field sketches identifying problems encountered as required.
• Perform activities and functions of related lower-level personnel as assigned or required
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must have a valid Allegheny County Health Department Journeyman Plumbing License at time of application and maintain this license throughout employment.
• Extensive knowledge of the materials, tools, equipment and procedures of the plumbing trade with competency at the journey level, and the safety hazards and precautions of the work.
• Ability to read and use blueprints and plans necessary for job completion and make mathematical computations and identify problems within field sketches.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions, maintain records and prepare accurate reports.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the general public.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Verification of permanent residency is required at time of appointment.
A performance or written exam as well as a medical exam may be required prior to appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting. They also must regularly lift or move up to 20 pounds.
• Perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to operate a pick-up truck, van, and forklift, and related equipment;
• Ability to work in confined, high spaces, like erect scaffolding.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
• Ability to perform heavy work including lift and carry up to 100 pounds.
• Ability to work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive
• Ability to work with respirator around odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases.
• Travel between 50 and 75 percent.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.