Sr. Environmental Scientist -- Elizabethtown, PA
Provide technical project support for residuals management from municipal, industrial, and commercial wastewater treatment and potable-water treatment; interact with officials from US EPA and state environmental agencies; review, apply statistical analysis, and summarize data; interpret results based on regulatory compliance, process control requirements, and other client needs; and prepare regulatory permit applications and regulatory reports on behalf of clients.
Salary Range: $54,000 - $69,000
- Manage projects by tracking project and regulatory deadlines, identify short-term and long-range challenges and risks, identify and evaluate options, establish and meet milestones, and communicate project requirements and results to client.
- Support municipal and industrial wastewater and water clients with solids handling, treatment, permitting, and beneficial use.
- Conduct market assessments with a wide variety of markets including agriculture, horticulture/nurseries, and similar industries.
- Develop treatment and marketing strategies to meet regulatory and client goals.
- Analyze municipal, industrial, and commercial wastewater/water treatment client needs and regulatory requirements, and translate those needs into viable and cost-effective solutions utilizing environmental science expertise.
- Research and apply principles of environmental science and engineering, adapt and modify techniques and approaches, identify roadblocks and design multiple solution paths, anticipate and mitigate undesired outcomes, and evaluate regulatory options and incentives.
- Prepare project reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing data and trends, and present information at client meetings. Infrequent multiple-day overnight travel is required.
- Update job knowledge by tracking regulatory programs and standards, participate in educational opportunities, read professional publications, maintain personal networks, and participate in professional organizations.
- Understand laboratory practices related to biosolids and residuals quality.
- Identify and interact with businesses and individuals from a variety of market sectors including but not limited to agriculture, landscaping, and horticulture.
- Implement tasks as planned, directed and coordinated by Project Manager(s). Manage time to implement multiple tasks efficiently.
- Interact with officials from USEPA, PADEP, and other federal and state regulatory agencies. Interact with local municipalities and counties.
- BS or MS degree in:
- Environmental Science,
- Environmental Resource Management,
- Agricultural Engineering,
- Environmental Engineering,
- Soil Science,
- Horticulture, or
- With a BS degree, possess a minimum of 5 years’ experience in environmental/engineering/science consulting.
- With an MS degree, possess a minimum of 2 years’ experience in environmental/engineering/science consulting.
- Effective project management
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with focus on Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Must be highly self-motivated, responsible, demonstrate excellent organizational and communication skills, and be able to simultaneously manage assigned clients/projects/tasks
- Possess the ingenuity and initiative required to troubleshoot problems, coordinate problem resolution, and to meet assignment deadlines within a team environment
- Capable of driving/operating a motor vehicle for company business
- Experience with state and/or federal permitting, and regulatory review and interpretation
- Proficiency with conducting independent field investigation with sample/data collection, and management, analysis, and interpretation of the results.
Certificates, Licenses, and Registrations
- Maintain a valid driver’s license in the state of residence
- PE/EIT or CPSS preferred
About the Company
Material Matters is a highly respected consulting firm specializing in expertise with biosolids and residuals processing/management/use, wastewater treatment, data management, and regulations. Material Matters is based in Elizabethtown, PA. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, handicap, or national origin. We offer competitive benefits including health, disability, and 401k plan. Projects, employees, and publications are detailed at https://materialmatters.com/.
To apply: Submit resume and cover letter online, http://bit.ly/MMSrEnvSci
Applications are not accepted by mail/email.
Keywords: residuals, biosolids, field investigation, project management, environment, environmental science