Stationary Engineer | Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Stationary Engineer. They will operate and maintain equipment in a high-pressure plant and pumping station.
This position is included in the Pittsburgh Joint Collective Bargaining Committee (PJCBC) and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Operates and maintains low and high-pressure boilers, pumps, generators, switch gear, valves, related machinery, and equipment.
• Reads gauges on air conditioners indicating and recording instruments and other related equipment.
• Tests water and adds chemicals as necessary.
• Inspects machinery to detect faulty operations by making rounds at pre-determined intervals.
• Makes minor adjustments to and lubricates equipment including washing and changing oil and refrigeration filters, cleans filters, air handlers, air conditioning tower, condenser tubes, sump and boiler site glasses as needed.
• Lubricates fans and motors, checks equipment belts and drives, runs stand-by generators in case of an emergency.
• Maintains records and prepares accurate reports concerning equipment operations and maintenance.
• Performs and assists on major equipment repair work.
• Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must clearly show five years of experience as a Stationary Engineer or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
• Must present a current NIULPE license and valid City of Pittsburgh Stationary Engineer License (Class 3) at the time of application.
• Extensive knowledge of the materials, tools, equipment, procedures, and of the safety hazards and precautions of the work associated with the Stationary Engineer Trade with competency at the journey level.
• Considerable knowledge of construction procedures and techniques.
• Ability to use basic mathematics to read gauges and keep accurate records.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions, and to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Ability to climb and work from ladders.
• Ability to maintain records and prepare accurate reports concerning equipment operations.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with Supervisors, Associates, and the General Public.
General Requirements: Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Examination: A drug screen, background check, and/or physical may be required for appointment.
Residency Requirements: Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh or one of the following thirty-six (36) surrounding communities at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA: Aspinwall Borough, Baldwin Borough, Baldwin Township, Bellevue Borough, Brentwood Borough, Carnegie Borough, Castle Shannon Borough, City of Pittsburgh, Crafton Borough, Dormont Borough, Edgewood Borough, Etna Borough, Fox Chapel Borough, Greentree Borough, Homestead Borough, Ingram Borough, Kennedy Township, McKees Rocks Borough, Millvale Borough, Mt. Lebanon Municipality, Mt. Oliver Borough, Munhall Borough, O'Hara Township, Penn Hills Municipality, Reserve Township, Robinson Township, Ross Township, Rosslyn Farms Borough, Scott Township, Shaler Township, Sharpsburg Borough, Swissvale Borough, Thornburg, West Homestead Borough, West Mifflin Borough, Whitehall Borough, Wilkinsburg Borough.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting.
• May perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to operate a pick-up truck, van, and forklift, and related equipment.
• Ability to work in confined, high spaces, like erect scaffolding.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
• Ability to perform heavy work including lifting and carrying up to 100 pounds.
• Ability to work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive risks.
• Ability to work with respirator around odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Applications: To be considered for this position, please submit your online application on our PWSA Careers Page: https://www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers. You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application. If you have questions regarding your application, please contact the Human Resources Department at:
PWSA Human Resources Department
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
An Equal Opportunity Employer:
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.
Position: Stationary Engineer
Division: Water Treatment Plant - Plant Operations
Rate: $30.511 per hour
Application Deadline: Until Filled