Position: Steamfitter FLSA: Non-exempt
Division: Field Operations Posted: September 22, 2020
Rate: $30.412 per hour Application Deadline: Until Filled
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Steamfitter. They will install, maintain, support and repair heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems in all PWSA buildings including new or replacement heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems in new or existing PWSA facilities.
This position in included in the Pittsburgh Joint Collective Bargaining Committee (PJCBC) and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement
• Install and maintain piping systems, supports, and related materials.
• Test and/or operate hydraulic and pneumatic equipment for heating and cooling systems, as well as other mechanical systems that use piping.
• Repair and replace leaks on piping systems, thermostats, and valves.
• Repairs furnaces, boilers, steam, hot water and condensate pipes and associated components.
• Repair refrigeration and air conditioning units of all sizes and capacities and related appurtenances in all PWSA buildings.
• Install new or replacement heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems in new or existing PWSA facilities.
• Performs preventative and corrective maintenance and uses diagnostic tools and equipment associated with system repairs and installation.
• Prepares parts and equipment orders for purchase as requested or required and may confer with vendors.
• Performs work in accordance with established PWSA safety rules, regulations, policies and procedures in accordance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations.
• May direct the work of laborers and/or other personnel assisting on assigned projects.
• Works with computerized maintenance management tools, maintains records, and prepares accurate reports, such as, but not limited to equipment operation, maintenance records, and work orders.
• Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Applicant must clearly show 4 years of experience as a steamfitter.
• NIULPE license and certification for Boilers preferred.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Extensive knowledge of materials, tools, equipment and the procedure of the Steamfitter’s trade with competency at the journeymen’s level.
• Knowledge of tools such as, but not limited to measuring, cutting, threading, hand and welding tools.
• Understands the principles of the operation of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems, and of the safety hazards and precautions of the work.
• Ability to carry out assignments independently and to follow both oral and written instructions.
• Must be able to read and use sketches and blueprints necessary for job completion.
• Some knowledge of computers and basic computer skills.
• Ability to use and comprehend basic mathematics.
• Ability to use and comprehend the results of diagnostic tools and equipment.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the general public.
• May be required to work shifts and holidays.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
Examination: Performance and/or written examination may be required.
Medical examination: Required prior to appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
• Perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
• Ability to operate a pick-up truck, van, and forklift, and related equipment;
• Ability to work in confined, high spaces, like erect scaffolding.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
• Ability to perform heavy work including lift and carry up to 100 pounds.
• Ability to work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive risks.
• Ability to work with respirator around odors, dusts, fumes, mists, poor ventilation, and gases.
• Travel between 50 and 75 percent.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.