Superintendent of the Water and Sewer Department
The Red Lion Municipal Authority (RLMA) provides drinking water treatment and distribution services to over 7,000 direct residential, commercial, and industrial customers and two bulk water customers. RLMA is also responsible for sewer collection and conveyance within Red Lion Borough. The Superintendent of the Water and Sewer Department, as the top salaried position within RLMA, is responsible for all Authority operation, and reports to the five-member Authority Board appointed by Red Lion Borough.
All operations of the Red Lion Municipal Authority Superintendent, including, but not limited to, oversight and maintenance of all RLMA properties, the Cabin Creek Water Treatment Plant and associated intakes and impoundments, all drinking water distribution facilities, all meter reading and billing operations, all permitting and regulatory compliance, and all safety and security policies and protocols. The superintendent will work with the Authority’s engineer to review all plans submitted by third parties and develop plans and bid specifications for Authority projects.
Perform all Human Resource functions, including, but not limited to, reviewing employment applications and interviewing applicants, conducting and reviewing employee evaluations, keeping position descriptions current, complying with the unionized employees’ labor contract, coordinating safety training and fully supporting the safety program, keeping relevant staff current with required PA DEP certifications, coordinating various insurance programs, supervising payroll functions.
Managerial duties include, but are not limited to, the administration of all Authority policies, keeping the Chairman and other members of the Authority advised about critical operations and issues, preparing the agenda and supporting materials for all Authority meetings, and attending those meetings. The Superintendent is also responsible for preparing and presenting the annual budget with the assistance of the Authority’s engineer, complying with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations, and preparing and submitting all reports as required by state and federal regulations.
General Requirements of the Applicant/Employee:
• Must live within thirty minutes driving distance of Red Lion, PA or be willing to relocate to within same.
• Must possess and maintain a valid PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License (or other state equivalent).
• Must possess a PA DEP Waterworks Operators Certification, Class B, sub-classifications 1-14 and a PA Wastewater Operators Certification of Sewage Collection System Operator.
• Must be available for 24-hour emergency call-out.
• Must submit a Criminal History Report and three-year Driver’s History Report.
Specific Requirements of the Applicant/Employee:
• Education: A bachelor’s (BA/BS) degree in business or environmental science from an accredited college or university and a minimum of ten years of experience, including managerial experience, in the field of drinking water treatment and distribution or related industry. While a bachelor’s degree is preferred, a combination of education and experience may be substituted for the minimum requirements.
• Knowledge: Ability to plan, maintain and manage efficient water and sewer operations. Excellent communications skills and ability to write technical documents. Ability to read and comprehend reports of engineering proposals, procurement proposals and contract documents, including plans and specifications. Sufficient knowledge to operate all water and wastewater systems to meet or exceed state and federal regulations. Ability to maintain good public relations and work with a variety of people. Working knowledge of computer programs to include Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Physical Requirements: Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through the use of telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier and fax machine. Physical activities may include some sitting, standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, lifting, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, handling, pushing and pulling. Must be mobile and able to examine infrastructure including climbing in and out of manholes and utility vaults and other confined spaces. Must be able to lift and carry fifty pounds.
• Working conditions: Must be able to perform routine office and laboratory work as well as physical work in non-hazardous and extreme weather conditions. Must be willing to travel off-site or out-of-state for short periods of time.
More information about the Red Lion Municipal Authority, including a position application, can be found on our web site at https://www.redlionpa.org/departments-services/water-sewer .
All interested applicants are encouraged to submit a letter of interest, resume, and completed job application to: Ms. Lori Groupe, Office Manager, Red Lion Municipal Authority at [email protected] . Questions may be addressed to Ms. Groupe at 717-244-3475.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The Red Lion Municipal Authority does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.