Water Resources Non-Certified Operator
The Borough of Carlisle is seeking a water resources non-certified operator for its water resources department.
This is semiskilled work of moderate complexity covering the construction and maintenance and rehabilitation of a wide variety of Water Resources infrastructure including, but not limited to water, sanitary sewer, storm drainage, equipment operation, constructing new and maintaining existing facilities. Work extends to responsibility for light maintenance and servicing of assigned equipment. Training of other Water Resources staff on various equipment may be required.
Work is performed in accordance with established routines and procedures with some limited judgment exercised based upon accepted equipment operation and maintenance practices. Employees make limited decisions that follow well-established precedents. Work typically originates from either assignment from the Water Resources Supervisor, Utilities Supervisor or Crew Leaders , or due to normal operations involved in water resource maintenance. The work requires knowledge that can be readily learned on the job. Major maintenance decisions or construction decisions are referred to a crew leader.
Perform a variety of manual tasks including, but not limited to shoveling asphalt, stone, dirt, and other materials at construction sites; cleaning up around construction sites,; excavating around water, sewer, and storm sewer lines with hand tools; repair of water lines by bolting on leak clamps or replacing main; repair broken sewer lines by replacing pipe or patching with tin and cement; making water taps of various sizes, sets corporations, sets meters and connects to property owner’s service line; making sewer taps using hammer and chisel to open hole in sewer pipe, sets new pipe into hole and re-cements hookup; installs and repairs manholes, unstops sewer lines; repairs leaks in fire hydrants, cleans out drain plugs of fire hydrants, extends or raises hydrants; repairs storm sewer pipes and inlets, etc.
• Perform building maintenance and cleanup.
• Operate dump truck up through 40,000 GPW in a variety of water resource maintenance and construction tasks including plowing snow, spreading sand and salt, hauling men and materials, etc.
• Perform light maintenance to assigned equipment; checks equipment to make sure all safety mechanisms are in proper operating condition; reports operating defects to Crew Leader and/or Automotive Mechanic.
• May operate higher level equipment under supervision for training purposes in accordance with departmental procedures, or may operate equipment after proper training has been achieved, at the discretion of a supervisor.
• Share in the established Water Resource call-out rotation.
• Read water meters and deliver delinquent notices within a designated time frame specified by department supervisor.
• Terminate and restore water service to Borough customers.Perform other duties asassigned.
• Considerable knowledge of the construction, rehabilitation, and maintenance of Water Resources facilities.
• Working knowledge of occupational hazards involved in utility construction and maintenance.
• Ability to operate assigned equipment safely and efficiently. Knowledge of the capability, limitation, and hazard of operation of any assigned equipment.
• Knowledge of the methods, materials, equipment, and techniques used in water line and sewer extensions; various repair methods for water and sewer lines; storm sewer maintenance and inlet repair.
• Skill in the use of various types of tapping machines used in making taps in water lines under pressure; use of hand tools involved in water line and sewer maintenance and construction; use of sewer TV cameras and grouting equipment.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Knowledge and ability to establish and set up work zone traffic signage.
• Ability to stand and walk for extended periods of time up to 8 hours, navigate unreliable surfaces, and perform manual labor, sometimes under unfavorable weather conditions.
• Knowledge of snow and ice control operations.
• Ability to cross train coworkers in job requirements.
• Ability to provide written reports to Crew Leader or Water Resources Manager on degree of work completed and facility inspection or observational findings.
• Present a professional appearance and display courtesy to both internal and external customers.
Minimum Requirements of Education & Experience
Graduation from a standard senior or vocational high school or equivalent ; one year of experience as a Laborer, preferably in water distribution, sewage collection or storm water management Must have possession of a valid Class A or B Pennsylvania driver’s license. w/tanker endorsement or obtain one within 6 month of hire.
Ability to obtain a Pennsylvania Class E Water Distribution System Operator Certification and a Pennsylvania Class E Wastewater Collection System Operators Certification within two years of hiring.
Salary Range $14.85-$20.79 /HR D.O.E.
Reply to Tom Hamilton
Borough of Carlisle
53 W South St
Carlisle, Pa 17013
or email [email protected]