Water Treatment Plant Operator
POSITION Water Treatment Plant Operator
DEPARTMENT Department of Public Works and Water Resources
REPORTS TO Water Resources and Field Operations Manager
PAY RATE Unlicensed operators start between $22.19/hr and $27.21/hr. Licensed operators start between $26.25/hr and $30.09/hr.
FLSA STATUS Non-exempt, full-time
CURRENT SCHEDULE (management may adjust schedules based on operational needs) This shift alternates: One week is Monday through Friday, 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. The other week is Monday through Wednesday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm, then Saturday and Sunday from 12:01 am to 8:00 am.
SUMMARY This is specialized work in the operation and maintenance of a water treatment plant in order to provide a safe, high quality finished water product to the public. The plant operator is responsible for operating the facility in such a manner as to meet Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) and United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards. Daily work is supervised by the senior operator.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The essential functions may include the customary duties and responsibilities noted herein; however, the information below is not an exhaustive list of duties and instead serves as a representative sample of the expectations of the position.
1. Operates the water plant and performs ongoing and preventive maintenance duties which include periodic inspection of mechanical equipment and making adjustments to pumps, motors, chlorinators, and other chemical feed equipment.
2. Regulates the flow of water; puts filters in and out of service; backwashes filters; regulates the addition of lime, chlorine, fluoride, and other additives to the water.
3. Records meter readings; maintains log sheets and charts.
4. Maintains proper water pressure, storage levels, and quality and quantity of water processes.
5. Conducts standard chemical analysis of raw and finished water, including alkalinity, pH, turbidity, chlorine residuals, etc.; performs chemical analysis to assist in operating decisions.
6. Reports operating characteristics of the plant to supervisors and other plant staff, including recommendations for work to be performed and material/equipment needs.
7. Performs related work and other duties as assigned; assists other staff as needed.
KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/QUALITIES: The ideal candidate should possess the following.
• Ability to present a positive image and attitude on a daily basis.
• Desire and ability to learn new skills.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
• Ability to follow oral and written instructions accurately and carefully.
• Ability to operate assigned equipment safely and efficiently. Knowledge of the capability, limitation, and hazard of operating any assigned equipment.
• Knowledge of the operating characteristics of a Class 1A water treatment facility, including EPA and DEP regulations; pump maintenance, electrical and mechanical control mechanisms, and related water treatment plant equipment; and chemistry, hydraulics, and bacteriology as applied to water treatment plant operations and analysis of samples.
• Ability to understand and utilize computer systems, read plant diagrams and maintenance manuals, read charts and meters, and keep detailed records.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFYING CRITERIA:
• Must be at least 18 years of age.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Valid Pennsylvania driver’s license.
• Any water treatment certifications and/or experience is a plus, but we will train and provide certification for the right individual. This plant requires Pennsylvania Class A Water Treatment Operator Certificate with Subclass 1, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12. Non-certified operators will be provided reasonable time to obtain certifications.
• Shift work is required. The plant is staffed 24 hours per day, 7 days per week; however, all operators are expected be available to respond to emergencies at any time if needed.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: The physical demands described
below are representative of those required for the position.
• Ability to stand and walk most of the time with some bending, stooping, squatting, climbing, twisting, reaching, lifting of up to 50 pounds, and working on irregular surfaces or heights above the ground.
• Must be able to use body to work, move or carry objects or materials; see and communicate effectively.
• New employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID.
Ready to apply?
Applications are on our website: www.carlislepa.org
For questions or to submit your application/resume/cover letter:
Contact: Amy Berrier, HR/Risk Management Manager
Email: [email protected]
Carlisle Borough Hall
53 West South Street
Carlisle, PA 17013