Water/Wastewater Assistant Operator
GENERAL SUMMARY: Assist in operation of the water and wastewater system under the Operations Manager’s supervision; coordinate hauled waste program and other duties as needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provide day-to-day assistance to water and wastewater systems; communicate with Operations Manager regarding significant developments and concerns; provide on-going training and assistance with less experienced operators.
2. Perform, record, and submit regulatory basic tests and sampling according to all regulatory requirements.
3. Coordinate hauled waste program including registration, permitting, and billing
4. Meet with Operations Manager to review plant priorities and plan for future.
5. Provide assistance to water and wastewater treatment plants.
6. Other Duties:
a. On-call rotation
b. Review and submit regulatory reporting and documentation
7. Communicate effectively with staff, public, and regulatory agencies
Education/Employment: Any combination of education and experience which indicates possession of the skills, knowledge and abilities listed below. An example of acceptable qualifications for this position is completion of high school degree or the equivalent, possession of a valid PA driver’s license, and a minimum PA DEP Wastewater or Water Operator’s license.
*indicates developed after employment
Candidate must have thorough knowledge of:
• Water and Wastewater treatment process
• General maintenance and repair practices for water and wastewater plant operation
• Safety standards and procedures in treatment plant environment
• Department rules and procedures *
• Laboratory testing methods and procedures and chemicals used in treatment process
• Mechanical principles involved in the operation of motors, pumps, belts and blowers
• Computer literacy and use of SCADA equipment
Candidate must exhibit the ability to:
• Operate hand and power tools
• Operate light and medium equipment with no supervision
• Prioritize tasks and organize time to ensure timely response to requests
• Adhere to safety standards and recognize safety warnings and hazards
• Inspect equipment, diagnose nature of problem and take action or recommend course of action
• Understand all current regulatory requirements pertaining to wastewater treatment and collection
• Interpret maps, land plots, sketches and blueprints
• Prepare accurate records
• Perform basic mathematical functions
• Interact and communicate effectively
• Keep confidential information private
• Demonstrate physical fitness, to include very frequent light to moderate weight lifting; standing and walking for long periods of time, as well as bending and reaching
• Work is frequently performed alone, either inside around noisy equipment or in the outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Adherence to safety standards is required for work which is performed on and around a variety of potentially hazardous electrical or mechanical equipment, occasionally around hazardous substances
• Work may include irregular schedules
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by a person assigned to this position. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required to perform the job.
REPORTS TO: Operations Manager
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Non-exempt