Position: Chemist II FLSA: Non-exempt
Division: Environmental Compliance Posted: January 8, 2021
Rate: $25.96 - $28.77 per hour Application Deadline: 4:00 p.m., January 21, 2021
The Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority is seeking a candidate for the position of Chemist II. They will perform routine and complex organic and inorganic chemical analysis using wet and instrumental methods on water samples, residues, and treatment chemicals collected throughout the city of Pittsburgh.
This position is included in the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) union and will be filled in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• Performs chemical analysis of a variety of substances and materials.
• Carries out special projects and provides technical assistance to associates.
• Evaluates results of tests.
• Applies chemical and mathematical principles and practices in the preparation and standardizations of tests and in making necessary calculations.
• Operates, performs preventative maintenance, and troubleshoots a variety of equipment and instruments atomic absorption spectrophotometer, gas chromatograph, total organic carbon analyzer, mass spectrometer in the work.
• Maintains routine and complex records and compiles reports on work performed in the laboratory both manually and by automated methods, such as a laboratory LIMS system; may direct work of lower-level chemists or other related personnel as requested.
• Assists in performing special research projects, such as Giardia and legionella, and security research as assigned.
• Visit filed sites to test materials.
• Must perform microbiological analyses.
• Must perform duties in compliance with PADEP Chapters 252 and 109, EPA Chapter 40, and the Safe Drinking Water Act.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must clearly show a Bachelor of Science degree and one-year professional analytical laboratory experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Applicant must clearly demonstrate that they have taken and successfully completed the following courses: General Chemistry I & II with associated labs, Organic Chemistry I & II with associated labs, Instrumental Analysis and Analytical Chemistry with Associated Labs.
• Considerable knowledge of chemistry, mathematics and related subjects.
• Knowledge of the safety hazards and precautions of the work.
• Knowledge of laboratory principles, practices, procedures and equipment.
• Some knowledge of microbiological methods.
• Ability to follow moderate to complex oral and written instructions, and make independent judgements.
• Ability to maintain records and prepare accurate reports either manually or by automated methods.
• Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
• Maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates and the general public.
Applicant must have permanent residency in the City of Pittsburgh at time of appointment and remain a permanent resident throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of City residence is required at time of filing application.
Applicant must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) PA Motor Vehicle Operator’s License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
A performance or written exam as well as a medical exam may be required prior to appointment.
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
The employee will be required to complete routine office work in a standard office setting. They also must regularly lift or move up to 50 pounds.
• Perform physical work outdoors in extreme weather.
• Availability to work all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
• Exhibit full range of motion to complete tasks like climbing, balancing, kneeling, or grasping.
• Ability to utilize senses to see, hear, and talk.
• Ability to work in loud conditions with vibrations, traffic, mechanical, chemical, fire, and explosive risks.
• Travel between 50 and 75 percent.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
Application forms are available online at www.pgh2o.com/about-us/careers or in the Human Resources Department at 1200 Penn Avenue. Submit application, resume, and cover letter to [email protected], by fax at 412-393-0513, or by mail at the following address:
Pittsburgh Water and Sewer Authority
ATTN: Human Resources
1200 Penn Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
If you have any questions, please contact us at 412-255-8800.
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.