Project Manager, Engineering & Construction
The Pittsburgh Water & Sewer Authority (PWSA) is in search of a Project Manager for its Engineering & Construction Division.
SUMMARY: Responsible for Planning, coordinating, and directing the work of assigned professional, technical and clerical employees in the planning, design, and/or management of construction of complex, multi-disciplined PWSA Capital and urgent facility repair projects. Reviews and directs the work performed by consultants; supervises and directs the design and/or management of construction of Capital or Operations related projects involving the water and sewer system or water treatment and pumping facilities. Seeking experienced candidates with Design or Construction focus. Experience managing projects greater than $2.5 Million is required.
• Applies technical knowledge and assists other team members as requested or required, and mentors and coordinates with peers, junior engineers, and technicians;
• Prepares RFPs for consultant services, bid documents, government ordinances, board resolutions, etc. for the full implementation of PWSA Capital and urgent system repair projects;
• Reviews shop drawings related to Capital or other projects;
• Evaluates changes to study, design and/or construction projects that substantially impact their scope, budget, or schedule and recommends and implements approved corrective action to adhere to the approved project schedule and budget;
• Monitors progress and performance against the project plan and identifies risks to financial matters and schedule delays;
• Recommends approval of change orders, requisitions for payment, etc.;
• Meets with representatives of other governmental agencies, City Departments, consultants, contractors and public on proposed projects, problems arising in the work, etc.;
• Directs the performance of design work performed in-house or in accordance with consultant agreements, as well as the performance of construction work under contract;
• Ensures that RFP's, specifications, designs, contract provisions and work performed comply fully with applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations;
• Maintains records and prepares accurate reports, correspondence, etc. as requested or required; plans, develops, directs, coordinates, organizes and controls the materials, equipment and personnel under jurisdiction toward the effective, efficient and economical attainment of program goals, including maximum convenience to the public and safety of employees;
• Manages area of responsibility in strict accordance with applicable laws, professional standards of conduct, regulations and established policy including union agreements to ensure fair and standardized treatment of employees. Performs activities and functions of related lower-level personnel and/or other related tasks and duties that are assigned or required.
KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES: Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of the study, design and/or management of construction of multi-disciplined water and sewer projects; and of the principles, practices and techniques in the water and sewer engineering field. Some knowledge of the policies and procedures of the administration of water and sewer projects; of the safety hazards and precautions of the work; and of relevant labor agreements and personnel policies and procedures.
Ability to complete design and/or construction projects within schedule and budget; to prepare RFP's for consultant services, bid documents, etc. Ability to evaluate design work and/or construction projects; to apply regulatory codes (e.g., city, state, federal, etc.) and standards affecting the work. Ability to work in a dynamic environment and conduct multi-tasking efforts. Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary, team focused, project environment.
Proficient in supervising and directing the work of assigned professional, technical, and clerical personnel; to plan, monitor and evaluate the work of self and others. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, associates, outside agencies and the public.
GENERAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicant must become domiciled within one of the following Pennsylvania counties: Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Lawrence, Indiana, Washington or Westmoreland at time of appointment and remain domiciled within one of the noted counties throughout employment with the PWSA. Verification of domicile is required at time of appointment.
Must present a current, valid Class C (Class 1) Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Operator's License at the time of application or prior to appointment. A valid driver’s license must be maintained throughout employment.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: To be considered eligible for this position, the application must clearly show a minimum total of seven (7) years of professional engineering experience with four years’ experience as a design and/or resident engineer on major construction projects under the supervision of a Licensed PE. Water/wastewater experience is preferred, Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering or a related civil engineering field. Professional Engineering EIT Certificate is preferred, a (P.E.) License in the state of Pennsylvania desired; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
PHYSICAL/WORKING CONDITIONS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers. Reach with hands and arms; talk and hear; and taste and smell. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; sit; and stoop, kneel, crouch, and crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb and balance. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
APPLICATIONS: Available in the Human Resources Department, 1200 Penn Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15222 or online at www.pgh2o.com. Please send the application, resume and cover letter to [email protected].
You may be considered for other available positions based on qualifications provided on your employment application.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
The PWSA does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, place of birth, sex, sexual orientation, family status, age, or non-disqualifying disability, or on any other basis protected by federal, state or local law.