Lehigh County Authority is seeking a Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Specialist to join their Allentown, PA team. As a GIS Specialist you’ll be responsible for technical work in creating and maintaining a computerized mapping system of LCA’s water and wastewater assets. You’ll perform data entry and maintenance of LCA’s GIS system and related hardware, software, and database management while also focused on data management within the GIS system, preparation of AutoCAD projects, and end-user support.
What you’ll do
The schedule for this position will be Monday-Friday day shift hours 8:15 AM – 4:45 PM.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Maintains Geographic Information System Data, Functionality, GIS Contacts List, LCA Infrastructure – pipes, valves, manholes, etc.
• Identify and recommend areas where GIS can be utilized within LCA. Participates in the design and implementation of the associated applications and/or procedures.
• Provide GIS-related support functions for organizational tasks and projects and training and mentoring for the employee base and/or others as required.
• Acquires and integrates outside data.
• Analyzes, designs, develops, and implements systems and procedures relating to the processing of geographic information supporting all operational aspects of LCA, such as Water Treatment and Distribution, Wastewater treatment and Collection, and Capital works.
• Automation of geographic information processing applications, such as feasibility analysis, cost-comparison studies, work measurement, work-simplification, personnel and resource utilization, and detailed system specifications as related to the design of overall systems.
• Records complete documentation of system specifications and procedures, prepares and designs associated input-output forms, programming guides, user’s manuals, procedure’s manuals, and operation guides.
• Ensures the long-term operation and reliability of geographic information system by verifying the proper functioning of all system features and capabilities in order to reveal and correct any deficiencies or malfunctions.
• Evaluates system instructions and procedures, recommends alternative solutions and/or improvements in geographic information processing methods, and redesign and modifies systems as required.
• Assists system users with procedures required for geographic information processing and the resolution of problems resulting from the processing of information.
• Provides direction, technical training, assistance, and system support to all users of system capabilities.
• Assists and supports the development of and adherence to required standards, controls, procedures and performance measures related to information systems
• Performs programming, including writing instructions, and procedures to implement systems of own design on an integrated, system-wide basis.
• MUNIS, Cityworks and/or other links to GIS
• County data conversion – parcels, roads, subdivisions, etc.
• Using different hardware’s (servers, PC’s laptop, and plotters), software (ESRI), and databases (SQL) regularly.
• Augment Infrastructure data – complete attribution.
• Process special map projects & templates.
What you need to thrive in this role
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in Geographical Information Systems or Management of Information Systems (MIS), or Civil Construction Technology, or equivalent training, coursework, and experience
• Experience: working on, some or all, of the software programs to include ESRI Software, AutoCAD, and Professional Survey & Design Software
• Knowledge and experience in surveying, GPS, CAD applications, and image processing are considered a plus.
• Programming experience in Python or SQL and knowledge of Plotters are desired.
• Knowledge of geographic information systems, information systems, techniques, and procedures.
• Working knowledge of ESRI Software and Tools specifically ArcMap, ArcGIS is a plus
• Skills: Ability to exercise ingenuity and inventiveness in problem-solving
• A strong team player with a positive attitude
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally, and in writing
• Translate technical terminology into terms understandable to others
• Ability to provide production programs for specific user-friendly applications used by non-GIS staff
Established in 1966, Lehigh County Authority (LCA) is a non-profit, municipal authority focused on providing high-quality, affordable water and sewer services to our customers. We operate in a cost-effective and efficient manner that results in affordable rates for public services such as the water and sewer services LCA provides.
LCA works directly with ratepayers (water and sewer customers) to meet their needs and to develop partnerships and cooperative programs with neighboring municipal water and sewer systems. LCA's water rates are among the lowest in the Lehigh Valley, and our regional approach allows us to act quickly and to provide enhanced services where and when needed. LCA is an exciting and busy place to work, and our employees are the key to ensuring that our public services are valuable, affordable and of the high quality our customers expect.
What we offer you
LCA offers competitive pay and robust benefits including:
• Health, dental and vision coverage – covers employee and eligible dependents with affordable employee contributions.
• Generous paid vacation, excused absence, personal days, and holidays.
• Company provided life insurance.
• Eligibility for two retirement plans - Pennsylvania Municipal Defined Benefit Retirement Plan and 457(Empower).
I’m interested, how do I get started?
Our hiring management partner is myHR Partner. myHR Partner is not a staffing service or recruiter. All resumes/applications will be reviewed for this position and only for our organization.
We realize that it takes time and effort to go through our application process and we thank you for considering applying for this position.
Lehigh County Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Lehigh County Authority does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, Veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Thank you for considering us as a potential employer!