The GIS System Mapping program with PRWA provides distribution, collection, and stormwater system mapping. This premium service is offered to member and non-member systems with discount pricing for members. The service includes consultation, geocoding points, printed and electronic maps, and 10 year filing as required by law.
The Mapping Process:
- Consultation: Our GIS Mapping Specialist will contact interested systems and schedule your free consultation at a time that is most suitable to you. During the consultation we will review existing projects, providing you with an example of our work. We will discuss what, exactly, you would like the final map product to display and determine a total count of physical features to be collected using GPS technologies.
- Estimate: Once we have determined the total number of features to be collected, we will develop an estimate based upon the information discussed during the consultation process.
- Schedule Data Collection: We will work together to schedule (a week or two) for in-field data collection. The presence of an experienced operator is required during in-field collection for a number of reasons. Most importantly, to ensure that the data we are collected is as accurate and precise as possible.
- In-Field Data Collection: We will walk around your town, street by street, collecting every assets that is essential for the operation of your system.
- Map Development: After the in-field collection is complete, the data moves into the post-processing stage. During post-processing, the collected data is run through a process known as differential correction; this is a critical stage that ensures the 4 inch accuracy that we promise. Once the data is corrected, we begin connecting the dots and develop your final product.
- Submission of Draft Maps: It is important that you receive a map that is customized to your liking. Before we print the final maps, you will receive a draft, allowing you to make changes as necessary, return to PRWA, and we correct any errors.
- Final Submission: Upon completion of the project you will receive a 36”x48” wall map of your entire systems. You will also receive a 11”x17” truck book which is, in a nut shell, the wall map broken down into sections that provides more detail and attribute information for in the field use.
- Future Map Updates: As your systems develops, we will stay in contact and schedule future in-field collection as necessary, continuously adding to your map as time progresses.
Call PRWA at 800-653-7792 for a quote or contact us online with questions!
What is GIS?
"The mapping will be a very valuable asset for the Borough to be able to identify the system and provide maintenance. The map, with the information provided all in one location, will save the Borough considerable costs and allow corrective action on issues in a timely manner as well as an inventory of the Borough’s assets."
Irvin R. Hoy – Secretary/Treasurer – Howard Borough
"PRWA is very precise with locations and water map accuracy. We are able to access water system details and O&M records thanks to PRWA’s work with our GIS. Shrewsbury Borough is more efficient with the PRWA GIS project and maps."
Brian Sweitzer - Public Works Superintendent - Shrewsbury Borough